Instructions for Completing the MENG Application for Admission
Deadlines: March 15 for Summer/Fall; July 15 for Fall; October 15 for Spring
- Applications should be completed online - please follow the instructions on the application page. You must create a user account. You can save the application and login to further edit and add information before before final submission of the application.
- When you have completed the application, please print and keep a copy for your records.
Application Checklist in Brief
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Online application form
- 5-8 page writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (not including WSU transcript)
- Letter of intent and Current resume
- $60.00 application fee (non-refundable)
- Interview with Program Director.
- Official TOEFL, IELTS score report, or ESL / LEAP transcripts sent directly to the MENG Office (international applicants only)
International applicants must submit all application materials to the MENG program and to Weber State University at least 60 days prior to their proposed date of entry in order to allow for international admission review.
Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or be in the final stage of completing their undergraduate degree. Students with a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 preferred but not required. If you have a non-English bachelor's degree you may be required to take classes at the 5000-level before becoming fully matriculated.
Applicants are responsible for submitting a complete application. If your application is incomplete at the time of submission, it will be held until missing items are received. Applicants may login to their portal to check their status.
A 5-8 page writing sample is required as part of the application. It can be uploaded directly to the online application as a pdf file. This sample should be an example of the best academic writing you have done. No creative writing or poetry please. The committee will accept papers with faculty feedback already noted.
Three recommendations are required. Please enter e-mail addresses of those providing recommendations directly to the online form. They will be contacted by e-mail for their ranking and to upload their recommendations. Please no clergy or family.
Official transcripts of your academic record should be sent directly to the MENG Program Office. Transcripts may be sent from the applicant if they are left unopened in the original, SEALED envelopes in which you receive them.
In approximately 300 words please describe your academic background, relevant experience, and what you specifically hope to achieve as a candidate in the Master of Arts in English Program. Applicants should upload the letter of intent directly to the online application.
Applicants should upload a current resume to the online application form. Your resume should include contact information as well as a summary of educational background and work experience.
Each application must be accompanied by a $60 (U.S.) MENG application fee ($95 for international / non-U.S. resident applicants). This may be paid online with a credit card at the end of the online application form. Personal checks or money orders are also accepted, and should be made payable to Weber State University and sent to the MENG Program Office at the address below. Please make sure your name is clearly written on your check. Applications will not be reviewed until payment is received.
Each applicant is required to meet with the MENG Program Director. The interview generally takes about 30 minutes. This meeting is an opportunity for the prospective candidate and the director to discuss the program. Candidate's goals and interests and possible areas of project interest will also be discussed. If you are not in the local area, the interview can be conducted by skype or phone. To schedule an interview, please email Dr. Hal Crimmel, Program Director, at email@example.com .
International applicants will need to complete additional paperwork in order to comply with university and United States INS regulations. For more information, please contact the International Student Services Office at 801-626-6853, or go to http://weber.edu/sis.
International applicants must be able to comprehend and speak English fluently, as well as read and write English competently. This may consist of one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - applicants may have an official score report sent to the MENG Office which is not more than two years old and on which a minimum score of 550 (paper-based); 213 (computer-based), or 79-80 (internet-based) has been earned.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - applicants may have an official score report sent to the MENG Office which is not more than two years old and on which a minimum score of 6.5 has been earned.
- Completion of a program for learning English as a second language at a regionally-accredited, U.S. institution of higher learning, such as English as a Second Language (ESL), or the Learning English for Academic Purposes (LEAP) program at Weber State University.
If you are mailing any materials directly, please use a page-sized envelope. Do not insert application materials into a binder or notebook of any kind. Print your name and return address on the upper left-hand corner of the envelope. Mail to:
MENG Admissions Committee
Weber State University
1404 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-1404
Notification of Admissions Decision
Each application is reviewed in depth by the MENG Admissions Committee. Decisions are made only after thoughtful weighing of all the evidence provided to us by each candidate and with careful consideration given to the overall balance of participants we seek for the MENG Program.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the MENG Office Assistant at 801-626-7179 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your interest in the Master of Arts in English program and look forward to receiving your application.