Step 1: Complete Human Subjects Research Training
Step 2: Download Required Forms
Download Application Form and Instructions (Microsoft Word Format)
- Page 1 & 2: Investigator’s Statement of Assurance & Signature Page. The completed pages including all appropriate signatures should be submitted via scanned (electronic) copy. The principle investigator should retain the hard copy version of the application with original signatures until the investigation is completed or closed.
- Pages 3 & 4: Application instructions and Checklist. Use these pages to ensure the application is complete.
- Pages 5 – 8: Application. These pages comprise the bulk of the application. Each page has a major heading (A-D) and several subheadings (numbered). Each subheading is followed by a short description of what might or must be included in the application. The Principal Investigator should fill out these pages by removing the short descriptions of what might be included and filling in the information as it pertains to their particular project.
- Note: If you have prior IRB approval from another institution, you do not need to fill out pages 5-8. Complete pages 1&2 and submit the full application, supporting information and approval notification from the sponsoring institution.
- All applicants should submit a copy of the information consent statement letter or signed consent form that will be distributed to each person in the study As of August 25, 2014 all Expedited and Full Review applicants must utilize Weber State's Standardized Informed Consent Template
- Exempt status applications must include an Informed Consent statement that details what participation in the investigation will include, what risks are involved and provide contact information for both the researchers and university IRB. A copy of this Information Sheet should be available to participants in paper or electronic form.
-Please review each point carefully to insure a successful submission
- All applications or renewals must include Human Subjects Training Certificates from an IRB approved computer-based training course found on the following web site: http://weber.edu/IRB/NIH_Training.html
- Please include only PDF copy of certificate for EVERY investigator.
- Gather required signatures. Any investigator that will have contact with subjects or collected data (student or WSU employee) must be listed on and sign application.
- Department Chair or appropriate direct supervisor must sign application PRIOR to submission
- Any application which requires participation, subject recruitment accesses, etc from an outside group or organization MUST include signed waivers,consent form, IRB approval or letter of intent/access (example: a school board, hospital, etc). This MUST be arranged and assured in writing PRIOR to application submission. EXCEPTIONS TO THIS POLICY MAYBE MADE, PARTICULARLY WHEN THE APPLICANT IS AN EMPLOYEE(or similar) OF GROUP OR ORGANIZATION. IN THESE CASES A CONDITIONAL APPROVAL WILL BE ISSUED UNTIL THE GROUP OR ORGANIZATION GRANTS ACCESS OR APPROVAL.
- If an applicant is submitting a survey-based project, including a copy of the survey instrument is required.
- Please include copies of any and all advertising (fliers, posters, drafts of ads, etc.) methods that research participants may come in contact with.
Incomplete requests will sent back to applicant and will not be reviewed until remedied.
Step 4: Submission
- Identify potential level of review: See Levels of IRB Research Review
Exempt and Expedited Research
- Please submit your application and all Supplemental Information ELECTRONICALLY to the appropriate Sub-Committee Chair for your college listed below (http://weber.edu/IRB/students.html) BIS Students please see:
- Application and all appropriate forms should be electronically submitted to the IRB Chair: email@example.com
- Application MUST contain all required signatures PRIOR to submission or application will not be reviewed.
- Applicant is required to retain original paper application with signatures until completion or termination of project.
- These files will be archived in Box or other comparable web-based storage platforms.
Arts and Humanities Sub-Committee Chair
Business Sub-Committee Chair
Dr. Chuck Kaiser
|COAST Sub-Committee Chair
||Education Sub-Committee Chair
Dr. Kyle Feuz
Dr. Linda Gowans
| Health Professions Sub-Committee Chair
||Psychology Sub-Committee Chair
Scott Wright MS, M (ASCP)
|Dr. Todd Baird
Science Sub-Committee Chair
Social & Behavioral Sub-Committee Chair
Dr. Michele Skopec
If your college/department does not fit within the above specifications, submit your application with all appropriate forms to:
Chair of the IRB Committee:
Matthew Donahue PhD, ATC, LAT
Page updated August 19, 2014