Through the generosity of private donors and the Office of the Provost, the Honors Program offers scholarships to qualified Honors’ students. Completed applications may be returned to the Honors Center, LI 225. Applications must be submitted before Fall Break for spring scholarships and before Spring Break for fall scholarships. *Please see the current application for this year's Departmental Honors Program Scholarship deadline, that can be found below.
Departmental Honors Program Scholarships
In cooperation with WSU College Deans and Program Directors, the Honors Program is pleased to offer Departmental Honors Scholarships to eligible Departmental Honors students. Each year this scholarship is offered to Departmental Honors students in selected colleges/programs. These scholarships will cover Utah residential tuition and fees for one academic year, fall and spring semesters. Please see below for a list of this year’s highlighted colleges/programs.
To Be Eligible:
- You must be a Utah resident;
- You must be enrolled in 12 to 18 credit hours per semester of the award;
- You must be a major in one of this year’s highlighted colleges/programs.
- Demonstrate academic excellence with a major GPA of 3.5 or above;
- Complete at least one Honors-generated class before applying;
- Enroll in Departmental Honors at least two semesters before applying;
- Preference will be given to students who receive no other educational scholarships.
"I cannot begin to describe what I felt when I opened the letter that night. That letter told me that the next year of my education would be just a little easier, just a little less stressful. A full year of tuition and fees is equivalent to what I make in about 6 months. Receiving this scholarship means that I only have to figure out how to pay for my books and living expenses. It is a load of stress off my shoulders knowing that my schooling is covered by the kindness and generosity of scholarship donors. This scholarship means that instead of working two jobs, I only have to work one. This scholarship means that at the end of the day, I know that my student loans won't cripple me after I graduate. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Words cannot describe the depth of my gratitude." --Brittany Andreasen, 2015-2016 Scholarship recipient
"I am a non-traditional student pursuing a dual major in Musical Theatre and Theatre Education with a minor in English Education. I am also a nurse, chauffeur, personal assistant, tutor, secretary, and teacher. In short I am a Mom. I have four children ranging in age from almost 18 to eight, each with busy lives of their own. Because my major is so time intensive, along with my busy family, I am unable to work full time and go to school. Without my Honors Departmental Scholarship I would not be able to pursue my studies and my dreams. I do not have words for how grateful I am for this scholarship, it has been a life-saver!" --Amanda Harris, 2015-2016 Scholarship recipient
- Be classified as full-time;
- Be enrolled in University General, or Departmental Honors for at least two full semesters;
- Earn a minium GPA of 3.5;
- Not have received an Honors Travel Scholarship within the previous two years;
- Use the scholarship before graduation.
Preference will be given to students traveling with a Weber State University originated course or program.
"To say I had a life-changing experience while in Perú would be an understatement. Throughout my time interacting with and serving the people of Perú, I learned and gained far more than I gave. My trip with the Center for Community Engaged Learning provided me with a humbling experience that drastically changed my perspective on life. In those 18 days, I made many new friends, met many incredible people, increased my Spanish skills, and stepped out of my comfort zone in a way that allowed me to grow professionally, academically, and personally." --Corbin Standley, 2014 Travel Scholarship recipient
The Book Scholarship offers $125 towards the cost of class textbooks.
- Be accepted into the WSU Honors Program;
- Be classified as full-time;
- General or University Honors: Enroll in an Honors course during the semester they receive the Book Scholarship;
- Departmental Honors: Enroll in Departmental Honors at least one semester prior to receiving a Book Scholarship;
- Not receive the Book Scholarship more than once per academic year.
Students who have completed their Honors coursework may still apply if they are working on their Senior Thesis/Project.
"I would like to thank you for the Book Scholarship that I received. It will make a huge difference this year as I continue to pursue my bachelor's degree in English Teaching...Receiving this scholarship means that I don't have to work as many hours at work to try and cover my books for this year. This in turn means that I can focus more on my school work, and on truly understanding my classes." -- Brittany Andreasen, 2014 Book Scholarship recipient