Dr. Eric Swedin
Associate Professor of History
Office -Social Science 250 and Davis D2-137L
Phone – 801-395-3553
Fax - 801-626-7613
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Page - http://faculty.weber.edu/eswedin/
Research and Teaching Areas: History of Science, History of
Technology, History of Medicine, 20th Century
Degrees: B.A. Weber State University (1988), M.S., Utah
State University (1991), Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University
- HIST SS1100 The Wired Society
- HIST 1700 American Civilization
- HIST 3350 History and Philosophy of Science
- HIST 4510 Twentieth Century World
- HIST 4990 Senior Seminar
- Seeking Valhalla: A Science Fiction Novel (Borgo Press, an imprint of Wildside Press, 2013).
- Fragments of Me: A Science Fiction Novel (Borgo Press, an imprint of Wildside Press, 2012).
- Bingham Canyon Doctor: The Life and Legacy of Paul S. Richards (University of Utah School of Medicine, 2012)
- Anasazi Exile: A Science Fiction Novel (Borgo Press, an imprint of Wildside Press, 2012).
David L. Ferro, editors. Science Fiction and Computing:
Essays on Interlinked Domains (McFarland, 2011).
- Editor. Survive
the Bomb: The Radioactive Citizen's Guide to Nuclear Survival (Zenith
- When Angels Wept: A What-If History of the Cuban
Missile Crisis (Potomac Books,
2010). Won the 2010 Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History.
David L. Ferro. Computers: The Life Story of a Technology (Greenwood
Press, 2005). Reissued as a paperback by The Johns Hopkins
University Press in 2007.
- Science in the Contemporary World: An Encyclopedia (ABC-CLIO, 2005).
- The Killing of Greybird: A Novel (Cedar Fort, 2004).
- Healing Souls: Psychotherapy in the Latter-day Saint
Community (University of Illinois
Selected Articles and Essays:
- “Safety Lessons: The 1938 Burgon’s Crossing School Bus and Train Accident.” Utah Historical Quarterly 81:2 (Spring 2013), 159-168.
- “The Ultimate What-If of the Cuban Missile Crisis: What If There Had Been a Nuclear War?” History News Network, November 12, 2012.
Available at <http://hnn.us/articles/ultimate-what-if-cuban-missile-crisis-what-if-there-had-been-nuclear-war>.
OS/2 Failed: Business Mistakes Compounded by Memory Prices,” Mountain
Plains Journal of Business and Economics 10 (2009), 28-37.
in Utah," Utah Historical Quarterly 75:1 (Winter
Babies: A Eugenics Race with China?” The Futurist 40:3
(May-June 2006), 18-21.
History of Computer Hacking Reveals Benevolent Origins," Standard-Examiner,
May 31, 2004, page 11A.
Canyon Physician: Paul Snelgrove Richards, 1892-1958," Utah
Historical Quarterly 69:1 (Winter 2001): 60-68.
in the LDS Community," AMCAP Journal 25:1 (Fall
Witnessing Our Own 20th-century Renaissance," Ogden
Standard-Examiner, May 12, 1999, page 11A.
the Modern Psychologies and Religion: Allen E. Bergin and the Latter-day
Saint Example," Journal of the History of the Behavioral
Sciences 35:2 (Spring 1999): 157-176.
Flesh:' A Historical Overview of Latter-day Saint Sexuality and
Psychology," Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 31:4
(Winter 1998), 1-29. Won the 1998 Dialogue History and Biography
Prevails: The Battle of Lake Erie," Military History (web
edition), April, 1997.
Swett Homestead: 1909-1970," Utah Historical Quarterly 62:2
(Spring 1994): 132-148.