CONGRATULATIONS TO KELSEY D. LINDQUIST, HISTORY MAJOR, GRADUATING WITH DEPARTMENTAL HONORS, APRIL 2011
DEPARTMENTAL HONORS IN HISTORY
WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY
Departmental Honors in History
“Department of History Honors” is a special designation offered to History and History Teaching majors through the History Department and the Honors Program. It provides our majors with the opportunity of graduating with distinction based on their academic achievements and their participation in activities designed to enhance their professional skills as historians.
Students earning departmental honors will receive:
- “Department of History Honors” designation on their official transcripts;
- “Department of History Honors” designation on their diplomas;
- A letter of congratulations from the President of Weber State University and the Honors Director;
- An Honors sash and medallion to be worn at commencement;
- Invitations to all Honors educational and social events.
Students pursuing Departmental Honors in History must:
1. Be a History or History Teaching major earning a Bachelor of Arts degree;
2. Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and a departmental GPA of 3.7;
3. Be a member of Phi Alpha Theta history honor society;
4. Disseminate their research publically
a. by presenting a paper at a national or at local academic conferences (e.g., Phi Alpha Theta Utah Regional History Conference; Utah Conference on Undergraduate Research; Annual Conference of the Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters; Weber State Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium)
b. by submitting an article manuscript to be considered for publication by a scholarly journal,
c. by creating a museum or web-based exhibit with the support of a recognized institution of public history.
Students working on their General Education requirements are also encouraged to take General Education courses offered through the Honors Program.
How to apply for Departmental Honors in History
To enroll for departmental honors you must:
1. Fill out the Entrance Form for Departmental Honors with the History Department Honors Advisor (Dr. Branden Little, Social Sciences Building, Room 248). Students must enroll one full semester before graduation in order to be considered eligible.
2. Submit the completed and signed Entrance Form to Honors Program Advisor (Marilyn Diamond, Stewart Library, Room 225).
Prior to graduation you must:
3. Complete the Exit Form with History Department Honors Advisor in order to be cleared for graduation with Departmental Honors. Fall graduates must submit the form the week before Thanksgiving. Spring graduates must submit the form the week before Spring Break
4. Submit university application for graduation through the Graduation Office (Student Services Center, Room 101) as required by all students filing for graduation.
5. Submit the completed and signed Exit Form to Honors Program Advisor (Marilyn Diamond) for clearance to Graduate with honors.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Stephen Francis History Honors Advisor 626-6781 email@example.com
Dr. Susan Matt History Department Chair 626-7325 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Judy Elsley Honors Program Director 626-6186 email@example.com
Marilyn Diamond Honors Program Advisor 626-7336 firstname.lastname@example.org