Health Promotion Emphasis
The BS in Health Service Administration, Health Promotion emphasis takes an interdisciplinary approach that combines both the health sciences and the behavioral sciences into an applied discipline, teaching you to meet the competencies of an entry-level health educator.
Why Choose Health Promotion at WSU?
- More than 95% of WSU health promotion program students become credentialed and are successfully placed in a career upon graduation.
- The health promotion program at WSU places students in meaningful internship opportunities that provide valuable on-the-job experience.
- Many of the prerequisite courses for this degree are delivered online and through independent study.
What You'll Learn
We focus on preparing students for employment in programs that promote health and prevent disease. You'll learn skills including:
- Needs assessment
- Program planning and implementation
- Evaluation and management of comprehensive programs
Students who complete a professional preparation program in health promotion can find employment in:
- Health agencies
- Public health departments
- Community action projects
- Hospitals and clinics
- Long-term care
Many employers hire only certified health education specialists (CHES), who earn a certificate by passing a written exam after completing a health promotion program and maintain certification by earning continuing education units (CEUs). You may elect to take the national test and become a certified health education specialist six months prior to graduation with a BS degree or after.
Starting salaries for health promotion graduates are $25,000 and up. With an advanced degree and experience, graduates are hired for around $45,000 and up. This may vary depending on the region, workplace and skill level.
Contact the HAS department for information on advising:
Office: Marriott Allied Health Building, Room 301