The Federal Work Study Program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. The money is earned and does not have to be repaid.
The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. You are paid by the hour, and the rate is at least the federal minimum wage. The maximum number of hours you can work at WSU during school sessions is 20 hours per week and you are paid every other week.Work Study hours are typically scheduled around your classes, depending on the employer.
Jobs are available both on campus and off campus. To see a list of available work study jobs, click on FWS Jobs, then select 'Search Postings' on the left purple bar, then define 'Hourly/Workstudy' as the Classification Type.
If you are awarded Federal Work Study after completing the FAFSA application you must:
- Accept your award on your student portal.
- Check job listings
- Jobs are available both on-campus and off-campus. Off-campus jobs usually involve work in community service. Your employer will usually be a private or public nonprofit organization, or a local, state or federal agency. To see a listing of all jobs available visit FWS Jobs, then select 'Search Postings' located on the left purple bar, then define 'Hourly/Workstudy' as the Classification Type.
- Show proof of at least six paid credit hours.
- Pick up your Work Study Certification Card from the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.
- Have your employer sign and complete the back of the certification card.
- Return the signed FWS Certification Card to the WSU Payroll Office (Miller Administration 111A).
- At this time you will be asked to complete new hire paperwork: I-9 form, W-4 form for IRS withholding, and bank information for direct deposit. Some positions may require a background check.
NOTE: To activate your federal work-study you must initiate a job search once you have picked up your work study card from the WSU Financial Aid and Scholarships office. If you do not activate your federal work-study (FWS) account within 30 days of the start of the first day of class the FWS award offer will be removed and re-awarded.