The English minor consists of twenty-one hours of course work with a variety of classes in writing, language, and literature. An English minor is an excellent complement to any major. First, you develop marketable abilities to write, organize, and think creatively and critically that are attractive to employers. In addition, by exploring the content of English classes, primarily literature, you address the big issues of inner life—meaning, purpose, love, death, identity—that enrich, in profound ways, every aspect of your outer life. Whatever your major, a minor in English will equip you to create a life that is both successful and meaningful.
A grade of 2.0 or better in all courses used toward the minor.
Credit Hour Requirements: 21 credit hours required. The number listed in parentheses after each course is the number of credit hours.
English Courses Required (15 credit hours)
- ENGL 3080 Critical Approaches to Literature (3) (early in minor) Prereq ENGL 2010
Writing—one of the following (3 credit hours): Prereq ENGL 2010
- ENGL 3100 Professional & Technical Writing (3)
- ENGL 3210 Advanced College Writing (3)
- ENGL 3250 Advanced Fiction Writing (3)
- ENGL 3270 Magazine Article Writing (3)
- ENGL 3280 Biographical Writing (3)
Language—one of the following (3 credit hours): Prereq ENGL 2010
- ENGL SI3010 Introduction to Linguistics (3)
- ENGL 3030 Structure of English (3)
- ENGL 3040 History of the English Language (3)
- ENGL 3050 Grammar, Style & Usage for Advanced Writing (3)
American Literature—one of the following (3 credit hours): Prereq ENGL 3080
- ENGL 4520 American Literature: Early & Romantic (3)
- ENGL 4530 American Literature: Realism & Naturalism (3)
- ENGL 4540 American Literature: Modern (3)
- ENGL 4550 American Literature: Contemporary (3)
British Literature—one of the following (3 credit hours) Prereq ENGL 3080
- ENGL 4610 British Literature: Medieval (3)
- ENGL 4620 British Literature: Renaissance (3)
- ENGL 4630 British Literature: Neoclassical & Romantic (3)
- ENGL 4640 British Literature: Victorian (3)
- ENGL 4650 British Literature: Modern (3)
- ENGL 4660 British Literature: Contemporary (3)
Elective courses: select at least 6 credit hours of upper division English courses. English 2250 Creative Writing may also count as an elective course for the English Minor.
To complete the required 21 credit hours, English minors may choose as electives any 3000 and 4000 level English courses, including those listed above.
Department of English News and Events
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Weber State University
of Arts & Humanities
Weber State University
Ogden, Utah 84408-1404