Mission & Goals
The mission of the WSU Dental Hygiene Program is to instruct students in the art and science of dental hygiene leading to professional employment settings and to instill skills for continuing professional growth. Paramount to our mission is our emphasis on improving the oral health in all communities of interest. Extensive personal contact and support enriches the learning experiences for our students in the classroom, clinical and community settings.
The goals of the Dental Hygiene Program support the use of resources to enable a student to enter the professional setting and render quality health care services. It is the goal of the program to provide the student with the:
- necessary biophysical, psychosocial and dental hygiene knowledge requisite for a comprehensive understanding of dental hygiene practice;
- technical skills, both fundamental and advanced, essential to the practice of dental hygiene;
- reasoning and judgement skills necessary to engage in problem-solving behavior;
- theoretical bases, research and communication skills necessary for the acquisition, advancement and dissemination of dental hygiene knowledge;
- leadership and initiative capabilities essential for assuming roles of responsibility within the dental hygiene profession and society;
- moral habitude requisite for the effective performance of responsibilities within dental hygiene practice and within society.