Graduate Field Practicum Training Position
The Weber State University Counseling & Psychological Services Center (CPSC) is pleased to accept applications for graduate practicum counselor/intern positions to begin Fall 2014 (exact start date is negotiable). Duties primarily include individual counseling, with additional opportunities for couples counseling, group counseling, outreach, and other developmental experiences as available and appropriate.
Weber State University (WSU) is a primarily undergraduate institution of approximately 25,000 students, with a substantial nontraditional population. The main campus of WSU is located in Ogden, Utah, approximately 35 miles north of Salt Lake City. Please visit the university website for further campus information.
CPSC has a staff of ten mental health professionals and one part-time psychiatric nurse practitioner. Services are provided within a brief therapy model on both Ogden and Davis campuses (practicum counselors/interns provide services on the Ogden campus only). Because WSU is an open-enrollment institution, and because students, faculty, and staff members are eligible for CPSC services, our clientele tends to be more diverse than that of many university counseling centers. This provides a rich training environment.
- Position responsibilities:
- Academic year commitment (minimally fall and spring semesters)
- A minimum of 16 total hours per week on a minimum of 2 days per week throughout fall and spring semesters, with some flexibility according to program requirements.
- Provision of a minimum of 10 hours per week of individual therapy.
- Participation in one outreach presentation per semester to the WSU community
- Provision of one case presentation per year to CPSC staff
- Provision of one inservice presentation per academic year to CPSC staff
- Active engagement in 1-2 hours of formal, individual supervision per week, provided by appropriately qualified mental health providers in accordance with program requirements.
- Practicum student/intern will be required to furnish proof of own professional liability policy.
- Every therapy session must be recorded, utilizing the digital recording system provided by CPSC.
- Adherence to APA principles and standards of care, including guidelines related to record keeping and treatment of minority populations.
- Each position provides a stipend of $3,000 per academic year.
- Master’s or doctoral student in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Counseling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, or Marriage & Family Therapy Program. Preference will be given to students from accredited programs (e.g., CACREP, APA, COAMFTE).
- At least one year of prior supervised clinical experience, including provision of individual treatment, some of which must have served adult outpatient clients.
- Must be registered in appropriate practicum/internship course and have approval of associated coordinator at the respective university.
Please send a brief cover letter outlining your interest in receiving training at the Weber State University Counseling and Psychological Services Center and any relevant experience. Include a curriculum vitae and the names and contact information for at least two clinical supervisors. Qualified candidates of interest will be contacted for an interview.
Criminal background check is required as a condition of practicum/internship appointment. Background checks are conducted by the Weber State University Human Resources Department.
Preferably, application materials are to be sent via e-mail to: email@example.com
If needed, they can be sent via postal service to:
Dianna Abel, Ph.D., Director
Counseling & Psychological Services Center
Weber State University
1114 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-1114
Applications accepted immediately; positions will remain open until filled. Screening will begin on Monday, March 3, 2014.
Weber State University is an AA/EO employer and acts in compliance with all aspects of the ADA. Members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.