What You Will Learn
The Public Relations & Advertising interdisciplinary concentration provides you with the theory and practical skills in writing, critical thinking, marketing, advertising and communicating to influence public opinion across a range of media. In the Public Relations concentration you can specialize in one of the following five emphases:
- Copywriting: Learn to hone your craft through exposure to a broad range of writing styles from advertising, to public relations to writing for the Web.
- Health Care Public Relations: Focus on public relations in the health care industry with its unique terminology and marketing strategies.
- International Public Relations: Work to help master the political, economic and social structures you will encounter as the global marketplace continues to expand.
- Marketing: Choose a variety of business classes to help you understand consumer behavior and how to sell and influence the public.
- Visual Communication: Focus on understanding how to make verbal and graphic arts messages visually appealing, persuasive and informative.
"Professors who know your name. An education that applies to your job every day. A connection to working professionals. That's the Department of Communication at WSU. Programs that challenge the way you think and open your mind to endless possibilities. As a Public Relations alumnus and employer of Weber State PR graduates, I highly recommend the Communication Department for those who want to further their education, enhance their job skills and move forward in life. It's a great value for the investment."
-Dave Smith, Client Services Director
Penna Powers Brian Haynes
Careers in Public Relations & Advertising
See a list of career possibilities.
- Advising Sheet (pdf)
- Public Relations and Advertising program requirements (WSU Catalog)
- Course Descriptions (pdf)
- Four-Year Course Projections (pdf)
How To Declare Your Major
- Complete the Communication Department Program of Study Declaration Form (pdf).
- Meet with your adviser and have them sign your declaration sheet.
- Return the form to the Communication Department in Elizabeth Hall, room 330.