What You Will Learn
The Journalism interdisciplinary concentration will teach you how to collect and write information regarding current events and trends, issues and people for publication in a newspaper, magazine or Web site. The curriculum emphasizes writing skills, but you will also learn about research, interviewing, editing, layout and design, and legal and ethical issues in journalism. You can specialize in one of the following four multi-disciplinary emphases areas:
- General Assignment Reporting: Select from a wide range of classes covering subject areas journalists are likely to cover.
- Literary Journalism: Learn how to tell factual stories using the storytelling techniques of fiction writers.
- Technical Writing: Expand your employment opportunities in factual writing by learning about technical writing.
- Web Publishing: Gain expertise in the writing and production skills needed to publish information in new media.
"Even now, more than five years after graduation, I still rave about Weber State University's communication department. The journalism program prepared me for my current job as a reporter for the Deseret Morning News better than I ever could have imagined. The professors have real-world experience, allowing them to combine practical knowledge with theory. Students then have the chance to apply those studies at the student newspaper, The Signpost, in an invaluable opportunity to gain working knowledge prior to graduation. All of this equips student reporters with the ability to not only write solid news stories, but also to cope with the pressures of day-to-day journalism while enjoying a broad understanding of the field of journalism."
– Angie Welling, Reporter
Deseret Morning News
Careers in Multimedia Journalism
See a list of career possibilities.
How To Declare Your Major
- Complete the Communication Department Program of Study Declaration Form (pdf).
- Meet with your adviser and have them sign your declaration sheet
- Return the form to the Communication Department in Elizabeth Hall, room 330.