- 1999 Ph. D., Southern Illinois University
- 1993 M. Ed., Idaho State University
- 1988 B. S., Idaho State University
- 2008-present COMM 1020 Public Speaking
- 2008-present COMM 2110 Interpersonal/Small Group
- 2000-2008 HCS-100 Introduction to Human Communication
- HCS-205 Public Speaking
- HCS-220 Small Group Communicaiton
- HCS-230 Interviewing
- HCS-280 Professional Communication
- HCS-285 Resolving Conflict through Communication
- HCS-305 Communication for Training and Education
- HCS-370 Rhetorical Criticism
- HCS-390,391,392 Internship I, II, III
The Metropolitan State College
- 1998-1999 SPC-100 Public Speaking
- Bishop, C. M. (2004). Bylaws for Student Chapter of Pennsylvania Communication Association. (Publication in Handbook for Student Chapters)
- Lu, X. A., Armitage, R., Bishop, C. M., & Herbert, S. (Eds.). (2003). Cases and Exercises for Basic Communication. (Student version). New York: McGraw Hill.
- Lu, X. A., Armitage, R., Bishop, C. M., & Herbert, S. (Eds.). (2003). Cases and Exercises for Basic Communication. (Instructor version). New York: McGraw Hill.
- Bishop, C. M. (1992). Self-disclosure in mother-daughter dyads. Journal of the Northwest Communication Association, 20.
Weber State University – Department
- General Education Assessment for Public Speaking (Comm 1020): Serve as needed for gen-ed assessment issues within the department. (2007-present)
- General Education Assessment for Interpersonal/Small Group (Comm 2010): Serve as needed for gen-ed assessment issues within the department. (2007-present)
- Curriculum Committee: Serve as needed for curriculum proposals and other curricular decisions which arise. (2007-2008)
- “Big-Book” Committee: Serve to identify and create policy and procedure details for a Department of Communication Handbook. (2007-2008)
- Mentoring/Coaching Committee: Serve to develop a new departmental program for coaching (mentoring) new faculty. (2007-2008)
Shippensburg University – Department
- Curriculum Committee: Serve as needed to discuss curricular issues for the department. (2007-2008)
- Handbook Development Committee: Chair - Creating, writing, and all editorial issues pertaining to writing a Departmental Handbook of policies and procedures. (2007)
- Departmental Committee for Mentoring: Chair - Committee is designing a Mentoring and/or Coaching policy for the department. (2007)
- Feasability Study Committee for a Masters Program: Ad Hoc service to research community needs and desire for possible addition of a Masters Degree Program in the Department of Communication. (2007)
- SU Promotion Committee: Review and evaluate materials submitted with applications for promotion. Promotion Committee is part of the university’s Professional Affairs Committee (PAC). (2006-2007)
- Search Committee: Participate in search for departmental faculty according to university and departmental standards. (2002 to 2007)
- Departmental Grade Appeals Committee: Participate in and/or chair formal grade appeals process according to university policy. (Fall 2003 - 2007)
- Advisor, Lambda Pi Eta, Alpha Gamma Chapter: Re-established student chapter of the Honor Society sponsored by the National Communication Association. (First inductions Spring 2003 - 2007)
- Editorial Board, BOC Supplement: Work to design, develop, and bring to publishing, a supplemental work book for use by all department faculty in their Basic Oral Communication classrooms. (Fall 2002)
- Advisor, Web Interns: Each semester I manage and direct the activities of Website interns. Working with campus technical support and evaluating interns are just some of these responsibilities. (Spring 2002 - 2007)
- Webmaster: Webmaster for the Department of Speech and Theatre Arts. Created and posted department website and manage editorial activity. (Fall 2001 - 2004)
- Handbook Design: Created a handbook for newly declared Speech Communication majors. Also created an electronic version and posted it to our departmental web-site. (Spring 2001 - 2004)
- Extended Studies Committee: Member of committee to design, develop, and pilot our Leadership and Innovation through New Communication Strategies (LINCS) Certification Program. (Spring 2001)
- Portfolio Assessment: Member of Portfolio Assessment Team. Development of rationale, criteria for evaluation, and counseling students for our new perpetual assessment approach. (Fall 2000 - 2007)
- Basic Course Evaluation Forms - Committee Chair: Coordinated data from all faculty to formulate generalized evaluation sheet to use for review and assessment of our students for the purposes of internal assessment and accreditation. (Spring 2000)
- Departmental Representative: Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculty (APSCUF) (2000 - 2007)
Shippensburg University – Campus Service
- Service Learning Faculty Group: Member of group to facilitate service learning projects across campus. Goals include: (1) create a common place to share ideas and experiences, and (2) align support for service learning efforts. (Fall 2006 - 2007)
- Sexual Harassment Fact Finding Board: Appointed to the committee by APSCUF leadership. Attend meetings and report to APSCUF officers. (Fall 2005)
- Enrollment Management Committee: Appointed to the committee by APSCUF leadership. Attend meetings and report to APSCUF officers. (Fall 2003)
- New Major: Member of committee for development of a new major program, Business Communication, for the university. A combined effort with the College of Business (Spring 2003 semester)
- Paired Courses: Selected professor to pilot paired courses beginning Fall 2001.
- Search Committee: Member of search committee for an Assistant/Associate Dean, Academic Programs and Services. (Spring 2001)
- Committee – New Minor Proposal: Development of a new minor for the university. Technical and Professional Communication. Coordination between several departments for this interdisciplinary minor. (Fall 2000)
- Committee – Course Pairing: Work with Speech Communication and World History to develop team approach to shared content. Pilot program (Fall 2000 - 2007)
- Teach Teams Program: Four person teams developed to enhancing teaching through the Center for Teaching and Learning (Fall 2000 -2007)
- 2007-present Instructor. Weber State University, Dept. of Communication, Ogden, Utah
- 2004-2006 Interim Department Chair. Shippensburg University, Dept. Of Human Comm. Studies.
- 2000-2007 Assistant Professor. Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA. (Tenured Jan 2005)
- 1998-1999 Faculty: Metropolitan State College of Denver, Denver, Colo.
- 1996-1997 Internship: Sitka High School, Sitka, Alaska
- 1993-1996 Graduate Teaching Assistant: SIU-C, Carbondale, Ill.
- 1993 HEP Teacher/Pilot Program Director: High School Equivalency Program (HEP) for Boise State University.
- 1992 Team Leader - Workshop for Idaho’s New Vocational Teachers.
- 1989-1991 Administrator/Trainer: EG&G Idaho, Inc., Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Honors and Awards
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- Professor of the Month: Panhellenic Council Acknowledgment
- Apple for the Teacher for: “contributions to MSCD’s excellent debate program.”
- Distinguished Judge Award: Downtown Denver Forensic Tournament
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
- Silver Tassel Chapter Mortar Board: President
- Nominated to The National Deans List
- Associated Students of Idaho State University Scholarship Recipient