Recent activities by the faculty of the Department of Child and Family Studies include:
Yesterday, President Wight participated in the Week of the Young Child Finger Paint Challenge with the Weber State Moyes College of Education.Posted by Weber State University on Tuesday, April 7, 2015
- On April 6th WSU President Wight completed the finger painting challenge Richard Paul Evans issued him. He challenged Deneece G Haftalin President of Salt Lake Community College. WSU Dean of the College of Education Dr. Jack Rasmussen challenged Dixie State University Dean of the College of Education Brenda Sabey. The Standard Examiner article can be found here.
- The Children and Families in Medical Setting course has been approved by the curriculum committee and is taught by Casey Davis, Director of Child Life Programs at McKay Dee Hospital. The course is offered each year and supports those interested in the Child Life Specialist career.
- Drs. Carrie Ota and Wei Qiu have developed a series of courses in Early Childhood Coaching. Students and professionals can earn a certificate in Early Childhood/Early Childhood Education Coaching.
- Dr. Paul Schvaneveldt is the director of the Healthy Marriage and Relationship Education Project, which is funded by the Utah Department of Human Services. This project will provide marriage and relationship education services to residents of Weber and Davis counties.
- The Learning and Practicing as Family Life Educators program is developed and directed by Drs. Daniel Hubler and Pamela Payne. The goals of the project are to create and implement a series of community-based courses to develop and assess teaching and interpersonal skills of Family Life Educators.
- Dr. Paul Schvaneveldt is serving as the Chair of the Utah Marriage Commission, which is part of the Utah Department of Human Services and sponsors the strongermarriage.org website.
- Dr. Chloe D. Merrill is a member of the national Certified Family Life Educator Advisory Board.
Faculty in the department have published the following academic articles:
- Burr, B.K Hubler, D.S., Gardner, B.C., Roberts, K.M., & Patterson, J. (2014) What Are Couples Saying About Relationship Education? A Content Analysis. Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 13.
- Burr, B.K., Hubler, D.S, Larzelere, R.E., & Gardner, B.C. (2013). Applying the Actor-Partner Interdependence Model to Micro-Level Analyses of Marital Partner Affect During Couple Conversations: An Exploratory Investigation. Marriage & Family Review, 49.
- Ota, C.L., Baumgartner, J.J., & Austin, A.M.B. (2013). Provider stress and children’s active engagement. Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 27(1), 61-73.
- Ota, C.L., & Austin, A.M.B. (2013). Training and mentoring: Family child care providers’ use of linguistic inputs in conversations with children. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 28, 972-983.
- Payne, P.B., & McDonald, D.A. (2014). The importance of understanding dosage when evaluating parenting programs: Lessons from a pilot study. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 2.
- Qui, W., Schvaneveldt, P.L., & Sahin, V. (2013). Children’s perceptions and definitions of family in China, Ecuador, Turkey, and the United States. Journal of Comparative Family Studies. 44, 641-662.
- Schvaneveldt, P.L., Payne, P., Hubler, D., & Merrill, C. (2013). Undergraduate competencies in Family Science: An exploratory study. Marriage and Family Review, 18, 61-76.
- Schvaneveldt, P.L. (2014). Parenting in Ecuador: Behaviors that promote social competence. In H. Selin (Ed.), Parenting across cultures: Childrearing, motherhood and fatherhood in Non-Western cultures (pp. 323-334). New York: Springer.
- Schvaneveldt, P.L. (2014). Family policy initiatives in Ecuador: A call for explicit family policies. In M. Robilia (Ed.), Handbook of family policies across the globe (pp. 445-458). New York: Springer.
- Schwerdtfeger, K.L., Todd, J., Oliver, M., & Hubler, D. S. (2013). Trying Versus Not Trying: A Qualitative Exploration of Pregnancy Intentions, the Transition to Parenthood, and the Couple Relationship. Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 12.
- WebCT Vista
- Outcome assessments
- Outcome assessments
|FOR CURRENT STUDENTS|