You may earn a Bachelor of Science degree in this program. Refer to the WSU Course Catalog for course descriptions.
A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 40 of these are required within the major. A minimum of 40 upper-division credit hours is required (courses number 3000 and above); 30 of these are required within the major. The Child and Family Studies Department will only accept 2 non-matriculated transfer courses for major/minor.
Refer to the general education requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree. CHF SS 1500 (Human Development) will satisfy a general education requirement and is prerequisite to most major courses.
Course Requirements for a BS Degree
Core Course Requirements (43 credit hours)
- CHF SS1500 Human Development 3 (offered through WSU distance learning)
- CHF 2400 Family Relations 3 (offered through WSU distance learning)
- CHF 2500 Development of the Child: Birth-Eight 3 (offered through WSU distance learning)
- CHF 2570 The Child from Six to Twelve 3 (offered through WSU distance learning)
- CHF 2600 Introduction to Early Childhood 3
- CHF 2610 Guidance Based on Developmental Theory 3
- CHF 2620 Planning Creative Experiences for Young Children 3
- CHF 3500 Young Children at Risk 3
- CHF 3640 Working with Parents 3
- CHF 4130 - Language Development and Emergent Literacy in Early Childhood Credits: 3
- CHF 4500 Comparative Study of Child & Adolescent Development 3
- CHF 4710* Advanced Planning and Guidance (taken concurrently with CHF 4720; prerequisites ChFam 2620, 2610, & 3640) 3
- CHF 4720* Student Teaching in the Melba S. Lehner Children's School and Seminar** (taken concurrently with CHF 4710; prerequisites CHF 2600, 2610, & 2620) 6
- CHF 4730 - Early Childhood/Early Childhood Education Program Development Credits: 3
- CHF 4890 - Cooperative Work Experience Credits: (1-6) (3 credit hours required)
- CHF 4990A - Seminar in Child Developement 3
*must be taken concurrently
**You are encouraged to apply two semesters prior to student teaching in the Melba S. Lehner Children's School.
In addition to your major and general education requirements, you must complete an advisor-approved minor or concentration of 15 credit hours from outside the Department of Child and Family Studies.
Optional: In lieu of a minor, you may substitute a specialization of 15 credit hours outside the Department of Child and Family Studies as approved by the department.
Grade Requirements for BS Degree
Maintain a grade of B- or above in each major course in addition to an overall GPA of 2.5 for all courses.
All listed requirements are subject to change. Always consult an advisor for current requirements.