Note: If you are using this minor with a Family Studies degree, the required courses will change. You must have 18 credits beyond your major for a minor in Child Development. See your department advisor for more information.
Refer to the WSU Course Catalog for course descriptions.
Required Courses (12 credit hours)
- CHF 2500 Development of the Child: Birth to Eight 3 credits
- CHF 2570 The Child from Six to Twelve 3 credits
- CHF 2610 Guidance Based on Developmental Theory 3 credits
- CHF 4500 Comparative Study of Childhood and Adolescent Development 3 credits
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Select at least two (2) courses from the following:
- CHF 2400 Family Relations 3 credits
- CHF 2600 Introduction to Early Childhood Education 3 credits
- CHF 2620 Planning Creative Experiences for Young Children 3 credits
- CHF 3350 Diversities Within Families 3 credits
- CHF 3500 Young Children at Risk 3 credits
- CHF 3550 Parenting Education 3 credits
- CHF 3640 Working with Parents 3 credits
- CHF 4300 - Latino Child and Family Development Credits: 3 credits
- CHF 4710* Advanced Guidance and Planning 3 credits
- CHF 4860* Practicum 3 credits
*must be taken concurrently
You must have at least 6 credit hours of upper-division courses (numbered 3000 or higher). The Child and Family Studies Department will only accept non-matriculated 2 transfer courses for minor.