Teacher Education Background Check InformationAll students admitted to the Teacher Education program must pass a background check for the Utah State Office of Education (USOE) prior to beginning program coursework.
You MAY NOT participate in required field experiences UNTIL your background check has cleared. Failure to receive clearance in a timely manner could delay you a semester or more in the program, as you will have to repeat the semester to complete field experiences.
Your admissions letter will give you instructions on the clearance process. Please make sure you read it carefully.
CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION IF YOUR MAJOR REQUIRES CHF 2610 AND 2620.
To complete the Teacher Education background check process:
- Go online to the USOE site and complete the Background Check application and make your payment online. Print out the authorization letter (Instructions).
- Pay the WSU LiveScan fee of $20 at the Cashier's Office (WSU Student Services Building 2nd floor). Be sure to get two copies of your receipt: one for your records and one for the WSU LiveScan office.
Go to ED 230 - Teacher Education Advisement Center and do the following:
The receptionist will then give you an appointment for fingerprinting.
- Bring your Letter of Authorization from USOE (online)
- Fill out a Background Check Application form (sent with your admission packet or get one from the reception desk)
- Show up at the WSU LiveScan fingerprinting office in ED 022 at the appointed time with valid driver’s license or passport identification.
Current Fingerprint Times –
January 7, 10:00 am-12:00 pm
January 8, 10:00 am-12:00 pm
January 9, 10:00 am-12:00 pm
January 12, 4:00-6:00 pm
January 15, 4:00-6:00 pm
January 16, 12:00-3:00 pm
USOE (Teacher Ed)
IMPORTANT: If you are unable to be fingerprinted during any of the available WSU LiveScan appointed times, you will have to go to one of the alternative USOE Live Scan sites. Please follow the directions below:
Your clearance card and lanyard will be available in the Teacher Education Advisement Center ED 230, two weeks from the date you are fingerprinted.
You will need to provide proof of USOE background clearance and a picture ID. The clearance card must be worn at all times when you are in a school and must hold the clearance card and WSU ID.
PLEASE BE ADVISED:
This background check is valid for three years, and must not be expired at time of licensing at the completion of the program in order for the department to recommend you to the state for a license. If you do not complete your professional education program, including student teaching and licensure application, within three years of completing the background check, you will have to repeat the process.