Science Technology Engineering Programs (STEP)
What is STEP?
STEP stands for Science, Technology, Engineering Programs at Weber State University and other higher education institutions in Utah. If you are studying one of these subjects, STEP adds to your experience and education with out-of-class activities, plus opportunities with our partner companies.
One of STEP’s main goals is to overcome the shortage of ethnic and gender diversity in science, technology and engineering. STEP aims to provide a positive experience and help everyone succeed in these fields.
If you were a member of MESA (Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement) in junior high or high school, STEP is the next level of that club. However, you don’t need to have MESA experience to join us.
Who can join STEP?
Everyone is welcome, especially college students exploring science, math, technology and engineering fields.
What will I get out of STEP?
Participation in STEP has many rewards, including:
- Access to scholarships to help pay for school
- Internship opportunities: Get professional experience with STEP partner companies
- Exposure to careers and professionals in the fields of science, technology and engineering
- Career planning and help with your resume
- Valuable experience as a mentor and role model
- Opportunities to meet students who share your interests
What will I do in STEP?
Members of STEP get together four or more times a year to plan and schedule a variety of activities, like:
- Mentoring and tutoring MESA students
- Organizing and conducting campus tours for MESA students
- Judging science fairs and other competitions
- Speaking at MESA events and other recruitment activities
- Participating at the annual MESA Career Day