DCHP Professional Development Policies & Procedures
DCHP Professional Development Committee
Funding Policies & Procedures
Revised June 2017
Funding will be made available throughout 4 funding cycles per academic year: September/October, November/December, January/February, and March/April. Eligible faculty members may apply for Marriott funding multiple times, but the total awards to any one faculty member shall not exceed $2,500 per academic year (July 1 through June 30).
The DCHP Professional Development Committee will review all grant applications and will make decisions at the end of each of the two-month periods. This committee is comprised of faculty and staff from each department, as well as representation from the Dean's office.
Only full time and part time employees of the Dumke College of Health Professions are eligible for funding. Activities eligible for funding are the following:
- Scholarly and/or research endeavors
- Instruction improvement
- Faculty-supervised undergraduate research
- National or regional leadership in professional societies
- Professional development
Priorities for funding will be given to the following:
- Full-time faculty of DCHP
- In no particular order -
- Applicants participating in activities related to earning tenur
- Applicants giving presentations
- Applicants who have not received Marriott funding within the past 12 months
- Applicants who need to attend because of a leadership position with the professional organization sponsoring the event
Applicants who have obtained supportive funding from their department, personal resources and other grants.
3. Adjunct faculty and staff members of DCHP
If funds are available, two adjunct faculty members per year may be awarded funds up to $1,000 annually for the purpose of advancing their education at the graduate level. Adjunct faculty members must be employed in DCHP for at least two years and teach a minimum of six (6) credits per year with excellent student evaluations. The department chair will write the recommendation for the individual seeking the funds to the Professional Development Committee. If more adjuncts apply than there are funds, selections will be made based on the progress toward the degree of the individual seeking the degree. Unofficial transcripts will be required annually.
In the event an adjunct faculty or staff member seeks a graduate degree and there is a full-time position in the department where the employee works or the potential exists for a position, the individual may be supported as potential full-time faculty, guided by full-time faculty policies. Any individual seeking a doctoral degree in the discipline where they are employed in the DCHP, regardless of their employment status will be supported as having the potential for full-time faculty member status for professional development funds.
If needed, IRB approval must be either granted or in progress at the time of proposal submission. The official grant application must be completed and submitted to the Professional Development committee chair after your department chair has reviewed the proposal for accuracy and content. The reviewed proposal must then be sent electronically to the Professional Development Committee chair prior to the proposal deadline, along with any supporting documentation that may be required. Supporting documentation is limited to two pages per proposal. Applications are due prior to the last day of each funding cycle. Applications that come in after the last day will be considered in the next funding cycle.
*See Submission Deadlines for important dates.
The application must be complete; incomplete and/or inaccurate proposals will be returned to author for revision, potentially delaying proposal consideration until next funding cycle. The first two pages summarize the project and budget requested. The follwoing page, which will expand as it is completed, and as such, is designed to give the committee a more extensive idea of the proposal objectives. Please limit the overview comments to two pages or less and include with the application (electronically) any other documents that might be helpful to the committee. These might be copies of letters notifying you that you are being invited to give presentations and/or copies of meeting agendas - this may require that the document be scanned in and saved as a pdf file. As you complete the budget page, use appropriate mileage and per diem amounts as outlined by WSU policies.
Awards must be used towards the approved project. Awarded funding may not be applied toward activities not directly associated with the approved proposal. Funding dollars not utilized for the approved project will be re-allocated to the original funding source.
After completion of the funded project, the recipient must report back to the committee in regards to the success of the project and dissemination of information. Submit the completed form to your designated department chair for review, who, upon personal approval, will forward the form to the Professional Development Committee Chair. This should be completed within 30 days of completion of the project in order to qualify for future funding.
- All sections of the proposal must be thoroughly completed.
- Proposals are limited to one person per proposal form.
- All complete proposals must be received on or before the submission deadline date, no later than 4pm.
- All proposals must be reviewed and approved by the department chair.
- Supporting documentation limited to 2 pages.
- Funding will not be awarded retroactively.
- Students are not eligible for funding.
- We encourage a demonstration of both departmental and self financial support.
- Report forms must be completed and returned to the Professional Development Committee within 30 days after completion of project in order to be considered for future funding.
- THOROUGHLY review all proposals.
- Verify budget page for accuracy.
- Collect all proposals from your department and submit them together in a single email to the Professional Development Committee chair.
- Consult with your department representative quarterly for any updates from the committee.
- Department Chairs must re-allocate within 30 days of the completed travel.
- Department Chairs submitting their own requests, must submit proposal to the Dean for prior review and authorization.
If you have any questions about the application process, visit with your department chair or a member of the committee.