University Committee on Assessment
During the 2000/01 academic year, a University Committee on Assessment was created to provide guidance and develop policies on matters related to university-wide and division-specific assessment. "Assessment" involves both the collection of data on the impact of university programs and activities, and the use of these data for informed decision-making.
Therefore, the committee assists in the development of specific assessment projects, participates in the interpretation of the results of these projects, develops a program of communication activities and channels to disseminate assessment information, and promotes the use of accurate and useful assessment information as a basis for campus decision-making. Because the committee is concerned with campus-wide assessment, it has multiple reporting lines for policy and communication recommendations, including: Faculty Senate, Student Senate, Deans' Council and President's Council.
Specific assessment projects which this committee helps oversee and coordinate include:
- student outcomes
- assessment within major departments and programs
- assessment of core and breadth general education requirements
- assessment of other academic institutional graduation requirements such as scientific inquiry, diversity, etc.
- assessment of specialized academic programs such as study abroad, concurrent enrollment, early college, online instruction, etc.
- academic and non-academic program review
- student affairs assessment activities
- overall institutional, mission-related assessment activities
- Kathleen Lukken, Chair of the Committee
- Carol Biddle, Development Director II
- Karen Dewey, Associate Professor of Nursing
- Doris Geide-Stevenson, Associate Professor of Economics
- Kirk Hagen, Professor of Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Warren Hill, Dean of College of Applied Science & Technology
- Joan Hubbard, University Librarian
- Steve Kerr, Institutional Analyst III of Budget & Institutional Research
- Alan Livingston, Manager of Administrative Computing
- David Lynch, Assistant Professor, Criminal Justice
- Tom Mathews, Associate Professor, Foreign Languages & Literatures
- Monica Mize, Professor of Health Promotion & Human Performance
- Sheldon Nord, Dean of Students
- Dale Ostlie, Chair and Professor of Physics
- Carl Porter, Executive Director of Academic Support Services & Programs
- Brian Stecklein, Program Director, Continuing Education
- Toni Weight, Associate Vice president for Student Affairs
- Jared Holmes, WSU Student
- Jamie Warner, WSU Student