- You may complete a residency application and provide required documentation to the Residency Officer in the Admissions Office. You may obtain an application in the office or download it from this web site. This application will then be reviewed for compliance with Utah Code and the Utah State Board of Regents Policy & Procedures. **Do not fill out the Admissions & Utah Residency Petition form unless you have submitted a residency application and your request was denied.**
I have been out of the state for a few years for military or religious service. Can I still be classified as a resident?
- For religious service, the admissions application includes a residency question where you can tell us you were involved in religious service. If you answer that question you should not need to fill out a residency application.
- You may be eligible for Utah residency if you have been absent from Utah for religious or military service. Fill out the residency application, claiming residency under Provision 2 of the residency law. Be sure to provide the supporting document requested.
When is the DEADLINE to apply for residency?
- The deadline to turn in your residency application is the end of the third week of the semester you are applying for. Applications received after the deadline will be considered for the next semester.
- The deadline for the Fall 2011 semester was September 9, 2011.
- The deadline for the Spring 2012 semester is January 20, 2012.
- The deadline for the Fall 2012 semester is September 14, 2012.
If I leave the state of Utah, can I still be a resident when school starts for the next semester?
- If you are currently a Utah resident, you may leave the state for 30 days and not lose your residency IF you did not take steps to establish residency elsewhere. If you attended an out of state college or university, you would need to verify that non-resident tuition was paid to that school.
You may qualify for residency under one of the following exceptions:
- Membership in the Utah National Guard
Documents Required: Copies of Enlistment Contract
- Active Duty Military stationed in Utah
Documents Required: Copies of PCS orders and Military ID card
- Membership in American Indian Tribe (not all tribes may qualify)
Documents Required: Copy of your Certificate of Blood
- Job Corp Student
- Olympic Training Athletes
- Recipient of State Social Services Benefits for educational purposes