General Education Mission Statement
(approved by Faculty Senate December 2006)
General education at Weber State University provides students with a foundation in the arts and sciences that transcends and complements their academic emphases. This exposure to diverse fields of study enables students to make intellectually honest, ethical decisions that reflect a knowledge of and respect for diverse people, ideas, and cultures. Such breadth of education also cultivates skills critical to student success in academic, personal, professional and community endeavors both within and beyond the university. Students completing the general education program can
- Communicate, understand and interpret ideas and information using written, oral and visual media.
- Think critically and creatively to construct well-reasoned arguments supported by documented research.
- Use quantitative, mathematical relationships, operations and reasoning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history, foundational principles, economics, and politics of the United States.
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer and information literacy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how the biological and physical sciences describe and explain the natural world.
- Demonstrate an understanding of humans, their behavior, and their interaction with and within their physical, social, local and global environments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of diverse forms of aesthetic and intellectual expression.